Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Modern Times, A Repeat of Medieval Decline?

As I go out into the world, one thing I always look forward to are the people. I simply love to meet new people and learn from them, though nowadays, I try not to become close to them. Studying the human mind has become something of a hobby of mine, despite my own mind being worth shit.

A disturbing trend I've noticed is the emergence of extremes. On one side, there are people who aspire simply to become "drones" in dead-end jobs who settle for what's there. On the other side are people who have ambition yet it is coupled with fanaticism, madness, and sometimes, lust for power. Yet what really worries me is the group of people who are filled with apathy, those who don't even bother about society or improvement. Where is the balance?

In these modern times, many people have become disillusioned and have become more concerned with what is on MTV or bopping along to some new fashion trend (gothic or whatever, I don't care) rather than on the more important aspects such as politics and the economy. These music and fashion alone is harmless but the culture and psychology it brings is utterly and hopelessly barbaric and naive. While this attitude is only natural for teens and adolescents, I have no doubt there are some people in their late 20's or early 30's who have this mentality. Another disturbing trend is the fanatics who believe only a rapid, sudden change in the current system (government or whatever) will bring about a change in our lives. These fanatics may have ambition and knowledge about political and economic maneuvering, their beliefs are often too extreme such as being too violent or too dictatorial.

With our future now lying in the hands of these anarchists and deluded fools, there is a growing fear expressed by many about what till happen to society once the truly enlightened few die out. I myself am afraid of what the future will bring now that the current generation's mindset is either geared toward servitude to another, toward excellence in a fields considered useless, or in foolish plots for power and glory. There is little doubt in my mind that this generation - our generation - is a "Synthetic Generation".

No comments: